The Navy Lark

My step in to naval wargaming started when I got Victory at Sea to use with my dad's (from when he was at school) Davco 1/3000 WW2 ships. We enjoyed a few games at the club and I thought I would try something different, so I got a copy of Shipwreck! for Cold War era naval combat. Not a bad set of rules though having only played it twice I'm still unfamiliar with the rules, one of the guys at the club said that compared to Harpoon they are a lot simpler set of rules but still retaining a good level of detail.

So anyway, here are some pictures of my working progress. At the time of writing this I have just purchased a small selection of civilian craft for objectives/scenery/scenario, hopefully I'll be able to share some photos of them soon.


 Royal Navy based
 
 Soviet Navy based
 
 Royal Navy sea texture complete (polyfilla applied and left 'rough' to imitate a sea)
 
Soviet Navy sea texture complete
 
Royal Navy frigates and destroyers after painting of ships and bases (note, free-hand landing pads on the rear deck) 

All ships painted (I wasn't happy with the free hand painting of the flight decks on the aircraft carriers, so decided I would re-paint them) 

 Royal Navy carrier battle group almost complete with name plates at the aft
 
 Close up of the Royal Navy battle group
 
Royal Navy destroyers and frigates (from left to right: Type 42 Destroyer Batch 1, Type 42 Destroyer Batch 3, Type 22 Frigate Batch 1, Type 22 Frigate Batch 2)

 
Soviet Navy carrier battle group almost complete with name plates at the aft
 
Soviet Navy destroyers and frigates (from left to right: Kashin-class modified Frigate, Udaloy-class Destroyer, 2x Krivak-class II Frigates)

My bigger ships with free-hand painted deck markings (from left to right: Soviet Kiev-class Aviation Cruiser, Soviet Kirov-class Battlecruiser, Royal Navy Invincible-class Aircraft Carrier)

Another view of the Kirov and Kiev ships with free-hand deck markings

Two of the Type 22 frigates patrolling with a launched Lynx helicopter (the helicopters and aircraft are handmade tokens designed on the computer, printed off and stuck to small mdf bases then varnished)

Udaloy-class destroyer and Kashin-class (modified) frigate on patrol with Ka-27 helicopter

Some printed ship reference cards downloaded from the Shipwreck! Yahoo forum

A small Royal Navy patrol

Re-painted Kiev flight deck markings (I used very thin air brush masking tape to help get the lines straight, very pleased with the final result)

Re-painted Kiev and Invincible flight deck markings
 
Another view of the two carriers

Some Shapeways (3D printed) oil rigs objectives/scenery

Royal Navy on patrol past a few North Sea oil rigs
 


Comments

  1. Excellent work. Very clean and ship shape. I really like the shade you've used on the bases too. What colour did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J Jackaman,

    Sorry for the delay. Glad you like them, I used Games Workshop paints for the sea:
    Kantor Blue base coat (while that is still wet I applied small patches of Warpstone Glow and gently blended it a bit - you can't really see this on the pictures very well, and not a step that's really needed)
    Once thoroughly dried I dry brushed in lighter blues: Caledor Sky and Teclis Blue, then followed by a light dry brush on some of the raised edges with white. If you use the same brush through all of the dry brushing the final white will come out a very pale blue, I then went back later once it had all dried properly and gave the extreme edges, bow wave and wake a dry brush with the white again.
    Then once the ship was painted and the name plate applied I gave everything a coat of Games Workshop 'Ardcoat which gives the whole model a shiny finish which looks good on the sea

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes very nice paint work!

    What scale are the oil rigs? I couldn't find them on Shapeways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time for a new start

7th Cavalry